Saturday, February 10, 2007

me talk pretty one day....

but not today.  i can't even fake it.

 

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North
 

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?"  Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Midland
 
The Northeast
 
Philadelphia
 
The South
 
The West
 
Boston
 
North Central
 
What'>http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have">What American accent do you have?
Quiz'>http://www.gotoquiz.com/">Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

 

The thing is... when I first moved to Seattle I was made fun of so continously that I made myself not speak like this anymore.  It was funny too because I then realized how horrible the Michigan accent really is. I would talk to my mom on the phone and she would say something like "... and it was only five DOLLARS!"  She sounded like she was screaming the DO.  Instead of aw it was AHHHH. Also, back when I spoke like a normal person, soda was soda, not pop.  Now I sound like a fool again and because my friends love me, they like to remind me on a daily basis. Apparently when I say "and" I sound whiney.  And yeah, I say pop now too. 

 

Here's the kicker though, put me in Boston for a month and you would think I was from there, put me in the south, same thing.  I pick up accents like nobody's business. So while I would love to claim that it's my love for Michigan that makes me speak this way, it's not.  It's just a hidden talent.        

No comments: